Sunday, September 23, 2007

Last Week Review

Last week was a very big week for me; my positions in my portfolio changed significantly.

I sold my long position in Hovnanian, as it was up 50% in three sessions, to a price that I felt was inflated. (So far, I was correct, as the price has fallen almost $2 from when I executed my sell order).

I was also long in some Hovnanian 12.5 September calls, which thankfully, I was able to sell for a nice little profit. I also had some Abercrombie 80 September calls, which I sold for a little more than break-even.

I'm looking to re-initiate a long position in a homebuilder at some point, once the market settles down a little bit - with earnings being reported from a couple builders this week, the potential volitility is a little more than I am comfortable with. I may or may not choose Hovnanian again; I might choose a safer play. as Hovnanian is probably one of more-endangered builders. However, I still do think HOV will not go bankrupt, and it will trade at two, three, or four times today's price, but I don't know if I want to reintroduce that risk to my porfolio now.

In other news, Syntax-Brillian (BRLC) finally bounced a little bit; I initiated long-term options position $2.50 calls, expiring January), increasing my exposure to the company with some deep-in-the-money, limited-risk calls.

Heelys (HLYS) also finally had a few positive sessions; once again, I reiterate that the company currently looks fundamentally cheap. It's a very long-term hold.

Now that I've pretty much eliminated all short-term plays from my portfolio... its time to get a new one! And for the first time in my life, I'm looking to go short and/or buy puts.

Look at the next post for what I'm thinking about.

No comments:

Search StudentStocks or the web. Thanks for your support!

Google