Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Rubbing my Crystal Ball

There's some major (and minor) events in the next few days that I'm going to try to predict here.

First, since I've been following the stock (with no position) lately, I'll comment on Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG), releasing earnings after the bell today:

I think they're going to meet current estimates, and possibly revise downward for the future. But even if they meet or slightly exceed, watch out for a negative reaction, as the stock has a 80 trailing and 50 forward P/E.



Oil was down over 3% today, a huge deal as it's been hitting new highs lately. Tomorrow's going to be a big day. Inventory reports come out in the morning, and the Fed will release the new funds rate at 2:15. If inventory shrinks and the Fed cuts, watch for today's losses to be wiped away. If inventory increases and the Fed keeps rates steady, watch out for further price declines. Read my previous article about the bubble in the current price of oil; the second scenario I outlined could be the catalyst for a major price correction. I'm looking to get out of my Conoco calls, and get into some Exxon or Chevron puts....

...because both Exxon and Chevron report earnings later this week, and they will probably disappoint, as Conoco, BP, and other companies have done thus far. Refining margins were terrible during the 3rd quarter, squeezing profits. A bad quarter and falling profits could mean a major drop in oil stocks, which have enjoyed 20+% price increases this year.

So, concerning oil, I think that the Fed cuts .25%, oil is flat after a flat inventory report, but begins to weaken during the winter season.. I think I'm going to get some long-term puts, and see how that works out for me.

Disclosure: Long Marathon Oil stock, Conoco Calls. Could become long puts at some time soon.

No comments:

Search StudentStocks or the web. Thanks for your support!

Google